Friday, April 15, 2011

Delhi Daredevils v Mumbai Indians (aka Delhi vs Sachin.....)

On Sunday 10th April T and I got invited to watch the IPL (Twenty 20 cricket) at Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium. The two big guns were facing off -  Delhi Daredevils (DDD) v Mumbai Indians (MI). After my last trip to Feroz Shah Kotla I wasn't too pumped for the cricket, as West Indies v Netherlands hadn't been much of a game, but I had big hopes for the IPL.

I arrived at the stadium and was ushered to the girls security entrance where I was frisked and informed I was carrying a knife in my bag. I asked them to x-ray the bag again and look inside as I was pretty sure I didn't have a knife. They went off to discuss it among themselves and never came back. I walked on.

When I arrived at my gate I again went through security and again was informed I was carrying a knife. I assured them I wasn't and they looked thoroughly, very thoroughly, through my bag and frisked me again. All credit to them - at least they were being cautious. Anyway turns out I wasn't carrying a knife and the offending object was my Aesop hand cream!

So after this drama, we got inside just in time to see the Delhi Daredevils (DDD) get taught a bit of a lesson - all to the tune of pop music and bad cheer leading (in tight gold sequin hot pants - channeling Kylie).




Delhi were all out for 96. However no one was too disappointed and were pretty buoyant for the break where the cricket equivalent of Karl Langdon was up and about running the half time entertainment. There was also the endless game of trying to get your face on the big screen - something our friend did manage to achieve! Another highlight was the very impressive mosquito fumigation.

Second half and the crowd where pretty excited by the appearance of their hero - Sachin Tendulkar! (Excited enough to cheer, but not enough to watch the actual game when they could potentially get on TV.)


So to the 'little master'.... easy for him and easy for Mumbai. The crowd loved the IPL, lapped up the full on music, the dancers and the cricket 'lite'. I can see how a closer game would be pretty exciting but unfortunately this wasn't. 

So it was time to leave, we headed out the gates with tens of thousands of others to get our car. On the way out the inevitable question of our nationality. T quickly answered 'Australian' to which the response was 'We beat you in the cricket!'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment