Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Oz Fest India

For the last nine months of 2012 I was a little distracted from my blog as I went and got myself a job. I was working on Oz Fest, an Australian cultural festival taking place across India from October - February.



NOW  WHEN: Image by 'Terra Form Australis by HASSELL, Holopoint and The Environment Institute'


Working in a country so foreign to me was an interesting experience - frustrating, rewarding, a very steep learning curve. However here I am on the other side and glad I did it.

I was working on the marketing and comm's for the Festival. I did this in conjunction with a team of peeps and two external marketing companies. The marketing and communications side was always going to be different, I am not used to how or why things work here.... plus this media environment is cluttered and busy. But, like everything here, 'it will be right on the night' rings true. Somethings are constants across countries - social media is king, as is word of mouth and budgets are limited! But other things, a many number of things, are quite different......

We produced a media launch, websites, brochures, bags, invites, banners, back drops, we entered twitterverse and plastered Facebook ..... the list goes on....

After months of work (for me) and a couple of years for others, we kicked off Oz Fest on 16 October in the presence of the Aussie PM - Julia Gillard. The Opening Night was a concert at Purana Qila, New Delhi and it was brilliant! Gurrumul, Mark Atkins and AGB events all travelled from Australia to make it a night to remember. I had never seen any of their work live before and I was amazed. Gurrumul was incredible, I mean truly incredible. The lighting by AGB events was out of this world and Mark Atkins didn't play nearly long enough. They were also joined on the night by Anoushka Shankar, an Indian sitar player - she too was brilliant and brought a completely different aspect to the evening.

The event was a huge success, the audience piled in, sat attentively, watched, absorbed, appreciated and left. It was a nice mix of expats and Indians and the team couldn't have asked for a better evening.

So that was a particularly good start to an amazing four month extravaganza.

Other events included the tour of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Roadshow - absolutely hilarious, photography exhibitions from the Pilbara region of Western Australia, music performances by 5 Aussie rock bands and the Aussie MasterChefs who were treated like rock stars!

Of course there was more but I headed off to have baby no. 2 and the festival successfully carried on without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment