Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The last couple of weeks in my world.

It's been a little while since I posted  so I thought I'd put together a bit of a summary. The days are getting very hot, I think today was a 'beautiful' 44 degrees. But it's fine, we're lucky we have AC pretty much everywhere we go and not subjected to the elements for too long.

So the last couple of weeks.....  We got a car and a driver - excitement plus!!!! We also have S in a safe car seat which is a bit of a relief. She loves it too and feels quite grown up and gets a good view of the people that come and tap on her window at the traffic lights.

I have been out and about a bit, had lunch at Amici in Khan Market with a few girlfriends. Amici is a nice little Italian place and had a lovely pasta with chorizo. Weirdly half of the table got their lime sodas in plastic glasses while the other half got glass. Probably a good idea I got plastic as I am quite clumsy but others found it odd. The poor waiter was at a loss as to explain why this had happened.

S and I have had a couple of playgroups which is great fun, there are so many little kids here for S to play with, although at the moment S just sits and watches. Today we hosted a little girls birthday party which was full of tears, cake and too much sugar. It was fun! S has taken to dancing.... unfortunately she has really found her rhythm to the Pope Song by Tim Minchin which I probably shouldn't be playing to young ears (warning about the language in this clip)




Saturday we spent most of the day in the pool after I'd played tennis - soooooo nice. Our friend has a coffee machine and we have discovered you can get real milk in Delhi - thank you Tru Milk (YEHAR!!!!!).

That night T and I headed off to a party at Olive Bar in Mehrauli. It was a brilliant night, good tunes, bottomless cosmos and great wood fired pizzas. Obviously got a bit messy but it was so nice to be up on the rooftop on a hot summers night drinking cocktails with our new buddies. Sunday (Mother's Day) was a day of eating pancakes, swimming and recovery..... it was a very long day and we loved every few hours when S needed her day sleeps! As a special mothers day treat I slept in until 9.30am, I can't remember the last time I did that.

Unfortunately while all this was going on my ayahs dad wasn't well so she had to go back to Nepal for a few days. It's amazing how used you get to having someone around to help with the baby and how much you miss them when they aren't there. So without an ayah S has been my wingman on all our outings. Shopping with a baby in a market with no trolley, lots of stairs and trying to carry a basket is quite tricky.

Monday S and I battled Sarojini for fruit and vege, it was hot, very hot. Flies were about to carry away the vege stand and I was a little bit flustered. S was obviously attracting attention and I turned around from asking for a kilo of potatoes I saw a man's arm around S's shoulder talking to her. It was a bit strange.... then he scooted off into the crowd when I made eye contact. After ordering my fruit and vege a boy of say 6 years offered to carry my things to the car for Rs20 - done! So there I was following a 6 year old boy with all my goods through the crowds to my car for the equivalent of about 50c.

On getting back to the car we saw a whole shop sitting on the back of a truck and about 60 men following down the road. My driver explained they didn't have a permit for the shop and it was getting taken away - sign, tables, goods everything! Some things are done very efficiently.

Other things that are happening - our yoga teacher leaves Indian shores this week so we have to find a new one, I've taken up tennis (great sport on a 40 degree day) and I have been going to a few 'pot luck lunches' which have been lovely.

On the down side our AC has started leaking water everywhere and causing a fair bit of damage to the skirting boards. I called the guy to repair it and he came to the house had a look and said 'Ok no problem tomorrow I will bring you a bucket'. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment