Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ho Ho Ho!

It's been a little quiet from here on the blog front....I've had three weeks Perth and my Mum travelled back to Delhi with me, then it was Xmas and New Year and some of my lovely mates joined us here in Delhi to celebrate both. As a result I haven't had much writing time but I have been out and about showing off my home.

It has been a very interesting time for me as I show visitors around this crazy city. I really wanted them to enjoy Delhi, see it's crazy, quirky elements and be amazed that it all just seems to work - somehow. I became strangely defensive of my home and all its bits and pieces but at the same time India and Delhi made sure it challenged us to ensure my tourist leader job wasn't always easy.

Our itinerary started calmly with a drive to India Gate and down Rajpath. I love this part of the city, I think the buildings and space are stunning. We were reading some of the history while getting out of the car...."You can't stop there"..... we are just getting out of the car to walk "You can't stop there"! OK OK..... so the driver hurried off as we looked at the stunning buildings and I noticed the mass of men and machinery protecting the monument.

We then checked out Humayun's Tomb where, on exiting the car, a man threw a basket at our feet and simply yelled "SNAKE" and proceeded to play his flute. I jumped a mile, it was scary and hilarious as a cobra danced itself out of the basket. We were lucky with timing as about 10 bus loads of school children exited the Tomb as we entered so all we got were the enthusiastic yells of 'hello' and 'what is your name?' This is a really beautiful building. Khan Market was next for lunch and a spot of shopping. Of course after all this we needed a drink and a brilliant meal - look no further than TLR and Gunpowder in Hauz Khas - loved it.

The next day we headed to Old Delhi. We visited Jama Masjid then ate lunch at busy, hectic, aromatic Karim's. We walked the crazy lanes of Kinari Bizarre and caught a cycle rickshaw to the Spice Market where we choked and coughed on the pungent spices. I'm still getting to used to Old Delhi but was reminded of how I quite like wandering through here (when it's not 40 degrees). People who live and work there just go about their business of cooking, eating, selling, talking and buying...... we are merely another group of people who regularly get in the way. I tried out Delhi metro for the first time - so impressed! Clean, efficient an super fast way to get home. 

Xmas was great fun - drinks, food and lots of friends who are away from their families. Then Boxing Day gave us the Boxing Day test on a plate with our Xmas leftovers.

My friends then headed off to Agra.... I didn't make the journey with them but it was a long one in the car. We saw them the next day after another long car ride but the Taj was a spectacle and didn't disappoint.

After this we were to head off to Udaipur and Jaipur for a few days...... more Indian adventures to follow.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ceals, I am very much enjoying these stories and your writing style. I hope all is well over there. Missing hanging out with you guys. It just feels that little bit further away. Probably because it is... I'm jealous of your adventures and the whole experience. Could you please tell Tom to hop back onto the planet for long enough to contact me?

    ReplyDelete