Sunday, August 28, 2011

Monsoon bread and Bukhara

The monsoon has showed itself in the last couple of weeks and must admit I am a huge fan of the lovely rain. It cools everything down and gives this city the drink which it desperately needs. It also means it is disgustingly humid but I'll take it.

What's been happening in our world this monsoon.....

Indian Independence day was on the 15 August and it bucketed down. We were all set to go and watch the famous kites but the rain had other plans... So we sat out the weather and I made my first ever loaf of bread and it was damn fine. A delhi food blogger, eatanddust, had provided the recipe on her blog, said how easy it was so I thought I'd try. It was so easy and really good. Here are the photos:



Step 1: combining water (I had no whey), cream, yeast, salt, sugar and flour


After the first knead....

Ready for the oven

Freshly baked bread

Hot bread with butter. One of my favourite things.


So it was a perfect morning, rain pouring outside, mildly hungover but the promise of yummy freshly baked bread.

Thankfully the rain eased in the afternoon so we escaped the house and walked to the local park for some kite action. It was a touch disappointing as we only spotted about half a dozen kites and families huddled under trees as they attempted to keep themselves and their picnics dry.


Oh well we got the idea.

Last week I was also lucky enough to eat at Bukhara, the famous north Indian restaurant that has hosted the likes of Bill Clinton. I hadn't eaten there before but had heard how excellent it was so was surprised by the very low key decor and complete lack of cutlery. However with the delicious breads I was quite happy without my knife and fork. All the food here is cooked in the tandoor, so don't expect rice. This gives all the food a very distinct earthy flavour. We order some delicious lamb ribs, paneer tikka, Dal Bukhara and chicken kebab.

It was a full on meal....very heavy but very good. I felt like it could have kept me going for weeks. However I had room for a VERY sweet Indian dessert!

So was it worth the wrap? I don't know, it was really lovely but I do think the meal at Dum Phukt was probably better.

No comments:

Post a Comment